Friday, July 10, 2015

The Times They Are A-Changin'

I think I'm becoming Kimmy Schmidt. Not only do I look the part and have the requisite wardrobe and accessories, today I thought to myself, Why don't people wear tie-dye anymore? It made me long for the days of youth when we used to tie bizarre knots on white shirts (sometimes also socks in my case) and soak them in various colored dyes. I was clearly born in the 80s.

My Kimmy Schmidt jewelry
Another sign that the times are changing is the way in which we consume media. It became clear during my time at Famous Birthdays that the younger generation finds their audience through means beyond traditional media such as film and television. YouTubers, Instagram celebrities, Viners, etc. are now the norm.

Even Netflix has contributed to a shift in the way we consume media, with a new study reporting that binge watching is on the rise and has become the new normal. A Cable.co.uk article even goes on to say that "some of the most popular TV shows among binge viewers have been original series produced by Netflix, including House of Cards and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" and that "37% of people have spent an entire weekend bingeing a show." For those of you who fall into this category, happy weekend bingeing!

No comments:

Post a Comment