Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Unbreakable Ellie Kemper

Ellie Kemper at the Upright Citizens Brigade on June 8

As I was sifting through my notes today, I came across some words of wisdom that I had jotted down on June 8. That evening, Missy and I had the opportunity to see a panel with the cast of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt at the Upright Citizens Brigade (UCB). When asked about how to succeed in the entertainment industry, Ellie Kemper had stated the importance of creating your own material, as it puts you in control. Upon hearing that, I was ecstatic, as that's exactly what Missy and I are doing. Kemper went on to emphasize, "Don't quit." Just like her Kimmy Schmidt character, Kemper highlighted the importance of persevering despite challenges. I love how inspirational she is, both on-screen and in-person.

While working on our Unbreakable Missy & Lori social media, I listened to a Comedy Insider podcast interview that Scott Dikkers conducted with Kemper. Here, I obtained additional insight into Kemper's career. I learned that she only discovered an interest for comedic acting during college, much later than other successful actors. Also, her sister's internship with Conan O'Brien provided her with the helpful connection that led to a gig on his show. She also auditioned for Saturday Night Live at one point, but didn't make the cut. As Dikkers pointed out during the interview, it seemed that Kemper had a drive to succeed, such that any road bumps she hit along the way were minor and left her unscathed. This is quite motivating for me, as I embark on this mysterious journey for Unbreakable Missy & Lori.

No comments:

Post a Comment